The Park and Lake Lietzensee and the Surrounding of Pension Am Park
There are many theories about the origin of the name of the Lietzensee. Some people trace back the name to the village Lietzow, which was located close to the lake before it was incorporated to Charlottenburg in 1719. Others believe that the name comes from the coot which is called “Lietze” in the Old-Berlin chargon. The Pension Am Park is located on the northwestern part of the lake which got a size of 6.5 hectare and a 10 hectare large park. The Lietzense is sickle-shaped and divided in the middle by the Neue Kantstraße. However both parts are connected through a underpass. The Lietzensee is the northernmost lake of the so called Grunewald chain of lakes among which are also the Grunewaldsee, Hundekehlensee, Krumme lanke and the Halensee. During the last ice age, glaciers tore a channel in the ground. After these glaciers regressed later, the earthholes filled with groundwater and make up the Grunewald chain of lakes. In 1820 the Prussian Minister of State and War Job von Witzleben bought the Lietzensee and started to create a park around it. After his death the lake was sold and passed on multiple times. Since the year 1905 the area around the Litzensee and the park was cultivated and became a distinguished residential area. In the years 1918 to 1920 the park was redesigned by the former garden director of Charlottenburg, Erwin Barth, to a green area in the Art Nouveau. In that time the large cascade at the southern end of the lake, the small cascade at the northwestern edge, right in front of the Pension Am Park and the parkkeeper house of Rudolf Walter were created. Today there are many monuments and sculptures spread in the park because it is a grade II listed garden. A few hundred meters away from the Pension Am Park is the Café am Lietzensee which was renamed after the renovation in 2009 to Bootshaus Stella am Lietzensee. It’s the sunniest place at the sea with a beautiful terrace at and on the water. The Lietzenseepark is meeting place, relaxation area and “Garden” for the local residents and neighborhood.