The Potsdamer Platz is a interchange in the eastern part of the Berlin Tiergarten in the district Mitte between the old downtown in the east and the new Berlin west. It is connected to the western Leipziger Platz and is positioned at the place of the former Potsdamer city gate in front of the Akzisemauer. Until the second world war the place was a popular meeting place of the political, social and artificial Szene of Berlin. The after 1990 mostly, new built terrain belongs to the most striking places of the city and is visited by numerous Tourists.
The Brandenburge Gate at the Pariser Platz in Berlin-Mitte was built in the years 1788 to 1791 by Carl Gotthard Langhaus on instruction of the king of Prussia Friedrich Wilhelm II and is the most important landmark and at the same time a state symbol with which a lot of important events in the history of Berlin, Europe and the whole world are related. The construction is assigned to the early classical style. Together with the Pariser Platz, the Brandenbuger Tor forms the completion of the street Unter den Linden. On the west side of the gate is the Platz des 18. März at which the Straße des 17. Juni beginns, which crosses the Tiergarten.
The Siegessäule at the Größen Stern in the center of the Tiergarten in berlin was built from 1864 to 1873 according to the plans of Heinrich Stracks and is a listed building nowadays. Reason for the construction were the victories in the German-Danish war in 1864. The Siegessäule was inaugurated on the third anniversary of the victorious battle near Sedan, the 2nd of september 1873 as national monument to the wars of unification. It recalls the victorious weapons programs of Prussia against Denmark in 1864, the German war against Austria in 1866 and against French in 1870/71. Because of these victories a bronze sculpture was placed on top of the Siegessäule which is called Goldelse by most Berliners. .
After the move of the government from Bonn to Berlin was decided a new district was formed around the Reichstag with members’ offices, chancellery, embassies and associated administration and infrastructure.
The Reichstag building is a building in the Berlin district Mitte in which first the Reichstag of the German empire and later the Parliament of the Weimar republic were accommodated. Since 1994 every five years the federal assembly for the election of the German federal president takes place there and since 1999 it is the headquarter of the German Bundestag. Architecturally renowned is the Reichstag because of his, by Sir Norman Foster designed, accessible dome, which is modeled after the original from before 1945.
The Berlin Fernsehturm was opened after only 4.5 years of construction time on the 3rd of October 1969 and was also a political symbol in the divided city. With his total height of 368 it is visible in nearly all parts of the city. At the height of 207 meters is a cafe and a restaurant, which turns 360 degrees every hour. So you can enjoy a total panoramic view over the whole city during each meal. It is recommended especially in the evening at sunset.
The Kurfürstendamm was originally created in 1542 as a bridle path for the elector, from his city place to his hunting castle in Grunewald. However only in 1875 began the expansion to a boulevard on Bismarcks proposal. Until the first world war the Kurfürstendamm developed to the most prestigious residential road. He reached his peak during the Weimarar republic. He is considered as a symbol of the “Golden 20s”. After the second world war and the distribution the KuDamm developed to the business center and and the promenade in West Berlin. On or close to the KuDamm are the Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe), the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and the Europe Center.
The Bellvue Castle, built in 1785, is the first neo-classical palace architecture in Prussia. It was built as Summer residence for August Ferdinand, the brother of the king. From 1935 to 1938 it was the museum of ethnology. After major changes and renovations, it was then used as a guest house of the government. Because it got heavily damaged during the war, it was rebuilt in it’s old form. The inside of the castle however, was changed completely during the two reconstructions. Today only the Oval Hall of 1791 is preserved original. Since 1959 the palace served as the Berlin dependance of the Federal President. Since the move of the president from Bonn to Berlin in 1993, it is the official office of the President. The Schloß Charlottenburg was originally called Lietzenburger Schloß and was located in its construction, 300 years ago, far from the gates of Berlin. Later it was renamed in honor of Queen Charlotte. It is one of the most magnificent castles of the Hohenzollern. Behind the Charlottenburg Palace extends a beautiful park.
The monument was opened on 15.12.2004 and is the central holocaust memorial in Germany. It is made up of a stone field with 2711 parts. And a underground “Place of Information” http://www.holocaust-mahnmal.de
The Berlin Funkturm is a from 1924 to 1926 by Heinrich Straumer built broadcast tower. It is on the area of the Berlin Exhibition Grounds in the district Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. Der Funkturm is a well known landmark of the city, though the Berlin Fehrnsehturm in Mitte is more than twice as high. Against some illustrations in travel guides, the designation “Langer Lulatsch” is barely used. On the 3rd of september 1926 it was opened on the occasion of the third large German radio show. Today it’s a listed building. Operator and owner of the plant is the Deutsche Funkturm (DFMG), a subsidiary of the Deutsche Telekom, headquartered in Muenster.
The Gendarmenmarkt in Mitte is often called the most beautiful place in Berlin. The central building is the concert hall, with the French cathedral on the north side and the German cathedral on the other side. The square was built from 1688 according to plans from Johann Arnold Nering as part of the Friedrichstadt, which was created by the elector Friedrich III, later King Friedrich I, at the end of the 17th century. In this historic district settled mainly French immigrants (Huguenots) down, whom the great elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg with the Edict of Potsdam in 1685 had promised to protect their religious freedom and guaranteed full citizenship. King Friedrich I, showed both the lutheran and the reformed community, each one place to build a church. Both churches were created after 1701, but without the later added Terme.
The actual figure was given to the square under Friedrich II, with the two identical dome towers besides the churches. They were created in the years 1780 to 1785 according to plans of Carl von Gontard. As an role model Friedrich the Great had chosen the Piazza del Popolo in Rome. Originally created as a market, the place was called Linden-Markt in the 17th century, in the 18th century until 1786 Mittelmarkt or Friedrichstädter Markt and afterwards Neuer Markt. He received its present name in 1799 in in memory of the stables of Karassierregiments of the “Gens d’armes”, which the King of soldiers Friedrich Wilhelm I had built here in 1736.